Pffernusus aka Pepper nuts cookies originated in Germany and are a part of traditional Christmas cookies. We all have baked or eaten our ever favorite Gingerbread Cookies and Sugar cookies. But I felt like experimenting a bit this year and creating things which we are unaware or just don’t bother baking. These cookies are super simple and super tasty. Its a must for all those who love spiced cookies.
Pffernusus aka Pepper nuts cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 100 grams butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven – 180 C
- In a bowl sift flour. Add baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground pepper, ground cloves and nutmeg. Mix well with a spoon.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together for 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes. Add honey, mix until well combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix with the electric mixer until everything is mixed well.
- Grease and line a baking sheet pan with parchment/butter paper.
- Take a tablespoon and scoop half tablespoon of the cookie batter and gently roll it in your hands and place it on the pan.
- Bake the cookies for 10 – 15 minutes at 180 C till brown and cracks appear. Let it cool.
- In a medium bowl, put the icing sugar and with a spoon take one cookie at a time and roll it. Coat the cookies with sugar, then eat on the spot or store in an airtight container up to 1 week.